photo credit: Abhinaba Basu
Current or former Honors students at WSU and at an institution in the Western Regional Honors Council (WRHC) are eligible to submit work to be considered for publication in The Palouse Review.
Please submit only original, unpublished work, a maximum of three submissions in each category, e.g. three poems may be submitted by one author.
- By submitting material to The Palouse Review, you affirm that you have read and agree to all our submission guidelines including the Genre Specific Guidelines. These guidelines are subject to change without notice.
- By submitting your work, you affirm that you are the sole author, and maintain all rights for your work. You also affirm that this work has not been previously published elsewhere in an online journal, in print, or any other medium. If simultaneously submitting your work to other venues, please inform us immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere.
- If your work is accepted for publication, The Palouse Review acquires the rights to publish and reproduce your material (text, image, and audio) online, or in print, and retain it as part of The Palouse Review Archives. After publication, rights revert back to the author.
- The Palouse Review reserves the right to copy edit accepted works. However, we expect authors to submit polished work in the form they wish it to be published.
- The Palouse Review reserves the right to discard without notice those submissions that do not follow our guidelines.
We regret that we are unable to pay our writers/artists, but we do our best to promote your work on our site and through any applicable social media networks.
The editors will make every attempt to respond to your submission within eight weeks.
Any questions about the submission process can be directed to email@example.com. Please label the subject field as “Submission Question.”
Genre Specific Guidelines:
FICTION: We consider short literary fiction. There is no specific length requirement but we suggest 5,000 words or less. Make sure to upload your work in one document with a .doc or .docx extension. All submissions must be the submitter’s original work, previously unpublished by an online or print journal.
NONFICTION: We consider personal essays, biography, narratives anchored in fact or real events. There is no specific length requirement but we suggest 5,000 words or less. Make sure to upload your work in one document with a .doc or .docx extension.
SCHOLARSHIP: We consider all topics within the humanities, social, and political sciences. We are looking for carefully crafted essays or research papers of a philosophical, scholarly nature. There is no specific length requirement but we suggest 5,000 words or less. Make sure to upload your work in one document with a .doc or .docx extension.
POETRY: We seek all styles of poetry. We accept a maximum of three poems submitted for a given edition of The Palouse Review. Make sure to upload your work in one document with a .doc or .docx extension.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VISUAL ART: We consider all forms of visual art utilizing all types of media, including photography, painting, drawing, assemblage, collage, graphic design, architectural models, and fabric art. Please submit 1-6 JPEG or PNG images of your art work. The file size for each file may not exceed 2 GB (your image may be resized for web).
MUSIC: We are looking for original auditory pieces. The submitter must be the composer of the music submitted but may not necessarily have written the lyrics. Submitting the score is encouraged but not required. The music submission may include video must be accompanied by a 200-250 word abstract describing the submission.
DIGITAL MULTIMEDIA: We accept short videos; animated films; documentary-style videos; and audio projects. Digital multimedia projects must be posted to a hosting service such as YouTube, Vimeo etc. We will access your project through the link to your project. A short, 200-word essay may accompany the piece, but is not required.